E. Jeffrey Pope, MD, FAAOS
Dr. E. Jeffrey Pope completed his undergraduate education at Pennsylvania State University, graduating with degrees in both Pre-medicine and Nutrition Science. Dr. Pope attended medical school at University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), graduating in the top of his class. He was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), the national medical school honor society, after which he chose the prestigious NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases for residency training. NYU is one of the top institutions for orthopaedics in the country. Dr. Pope finished his training at University of Chicago, a time-honored institution, where during fellowship he gained expert skills in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic (minimally invasive) surgery. After completing his training, he returned to Bergen County, NJ, where he was raised.
Dr. Pope has been involved in team sports medicine and adolescent orthopedic care from very early in his training, and continues this interest into his current practice. He cares for numerous adolescent and high school athletes as well as the “weekend warrior.” Pope is the author of multiple articles in orthopaedic literature, where he focuses on both sports medicine and general orthopaedics.
Dr. Pope’s specializes in arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and ankle. He is skilled in trauma, as well as shoulder, hip, and knee replacement surgery. A brief list of his surgical skills includes:
- Shoulder arthroscopy – Rotator cuff repair, labral repair, biceps tenodesis, shoulder stabilization, shoulder decompression
- Open shoulder surgery – Shoulder replacement, shoulder fracture fixation, clavicle (collar bone) fixation, pectoralis tendon repair
- Elbow arthroscopy – Loose body removal, cartilage stimulation techniques
- Open elbow surgery – Biceps tendon repair, triceps tendon repair, fracture fixation, nerve decompression
- Hip arthroscopy – Labral repair, femoral acetabular impingement, loose body removal, tendon release, snapping hip release, cartilage stimulation techniques
- Open hip surgery – Fracture fixation, total hip replacement
- Knee arthroscopy – Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, multi-ligament knee reconstruction, meniscal repair, cartilage stimulation techniques
- Open knee surgery – Tendon repair, partial (Unicompartmental) knee replacement, total knee replacement
- Ankle arthroscopy – Osteochondral defect (OCD) repair, cartilage stimulation techniques, debridement
- Open ankle surgery – Fracture fixation, ligament reconstruction
SPECIALTY: Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) – Medical Honor Society
- BS Premedicine, BS Nutrition Science, Pennsylvania State University 2000
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey 2004
- Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, 2009
- Fellowship; Sports Medicine – Arthroscopic and Open Procedures, University of Chicago, 2010
- ABOS Part 1: Passed, 89th percentile (Board Eligible)
- ABOS Part 2: Passed (Board Certified)
- USMLE Step 1: Passed, score 257, average 216
- USMLE Step 2: Passed, score 254, average 216
- USMLE Step 3: Passed, score 221, average 213
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine (2014)
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURES
- Board Certified-American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine
HONORS & AWARDS
- Medical School
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society
- NJMS Dean’s Letter of Commendation for Outstanding Academic Performance
- Merck Manual Award for Academic Excellence (2004)
- Van Houten Scholarship for Excellent Academic Performance (2003)
- Dr. and Mrs. Joseph Ritter ’63 Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2003)
- Class of 1977 Academic Scholarship (2002)
- Class of 1966 Academic Scholarship (2001)
- Golden Key National Honor Society (1999)
- Undergraduate Dean’s List: Six semesters – Fall 1997 thru Spring 2000
Tan V., Pope J., Daluiski A., Capo J.T., Weiland A.J. The V-Sling: A Modified Medial Intermuscular Septal Sling for Anterior Transposition of the Ulnar Nerve. J Hand Surg 2004; 29A: 325-327.
- Manuscripts in Preparation
- Pope J, McLaurin T. “Irreducible ankle dislocation: A Case report and review of the literature.” Manuscript submitted to Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 2009.
- Pope J, Rokito A. “Anterior Shoulder Instability: A History of Arthroscopic Treatment.” Manuscript submitted to Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases.
- Pope J, Takemoto R, Mroczek K. “Midfoot fusion: A Biomechanical comparison of plantar plate and intramedullary screws.” Manuscript in preparation for submission to Foot and Ankle International, 2009.
- Pope J, Leland M. “Pediatric Segond Fracture without Anterior Cruciate Injury: A Case report and review of the literature.” Manuscript being prepared for submission to Arthroscopy, 2009.
- Research in Progress
- Cutaneous Nitroglycerin patches for treatment of Patellar Tendonitis. A randomized control and functional outcome study.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) with Rotator Cuff Repair. A randomized control and functional outcome study.
BASIC SCIENCE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- NJMS Orthopaedic Science Laboratory, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ.Summer 2001
- Mentors: Chris Sabatino, Ph.D., Bob Harten, Ph.D.
- Evaluated the effect of distraction osteogenesis on growth plate histology in juvenile rabbit tibias.
- Nutrition Science Henderson Laboratory, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.Fall 1999, Spring 2000
- Mentor: John Beard, Ph.D.
- Evaluated the effect of iron deficient diet on dopamine receptors in the brains of rats.
- Pope, J. “The Knee: A Sports Medicine approach to the Physical Exam, Imaging, and Treatment of Injury.” Grand Rounds presentation, September 2009
- Pope, J. “The Hip and Pelvis: A Sports Medicine approach to the Physical Exam, Imaging, and Treatment of Injury.” Grand Rounds presentation, August 2009.
- Pope J, Rokito A. “Anterior Shoulder Instability: A History of Arthroscopic Treatment.” Grand Rounds presentation, March 18th, 2009. Pope J, Strauss E, Davidovitch R, Egol K. “Pitfalls in Femoral Nailing: Prevention and Salvage for When They Occur.” Scientific Exhibit American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons February 2009, Las Vegas.
- Pope J, Takemoto R, Mroczek K. “Midfoot fusion: A Biomechanical comparison of plantar plating and intramedullary screws.” Senior Research Presentation for the Sir Howard Rosen Annual Research Symposium, NY, NY, May 8th 2009.
- Pope J, Sabatino C, Hartman B. “Effect of distraction osteogenesis on the proximal tibial growth plates of rabbits.” Poster exhibit at the UMDNJ Summer Research Symposium, August 2001.
- University of Chicago Football – Assistant Team Physician for home and away games under training of Dr. Bruce Reider
- University of Chicago – Team Physician for all sports pre-participation clearance and injury clinics
- Concordia University (Chicago) – Assistant Team Physician for all sports pre-participation clearance and injury clinic
- Lincoln Way Central – Team Physician for varsity football home and away games
- New York Public School Athletic League – Staff physician for home football games.
- Supervising Physician: Joseph Bosco, MD
- Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre – Staff physician
- Supervising Physician: Donald Rose, MD
- New York University Varsity Basketball – Staff physician for home basketball games
- Supervising Physician: Orrin Sherman, MD
- New York University Team and Club Physical Exam – Staff evaluator for orthopaedic clearance to participate in NYU Team and Club sports.
- Supervising Physician: Orrin Sherman, MD